A German Man died almost four years after his co-worker did the worst thing possible. Moreover, four years ago, the now-deceased ate a sandwich which made him fall into a coma. Surprising? His co-worker had poisoned that sandwich. On Thursday, officials revealed that the victim ended his four-year coma and died.
The now-dead man suffered from permanent brain damage
Moreover, the state court in Bielefeld confirmed the death. Besides, they convicted the cunning 57-year-old old suspect last year. The 26-year-old victim’s parents spoke up last year. They opened up about their son’s sufferings during a trial that took place in the previous year. Regardless, the trainee fell into a four-year-long coma after ingesting mercury. Not only that, but it also led to permanent brain damage.
The suspect now faces a severe penalty for his horrible crime. Klaus O, a 57-year-old man, is now facing a life sentence in prison. The judge gave him this penalty in March 2019. Besides, the court found him guilty of attempted murder of the 26-year-old co-worker. Officials arrested him back in March 2018.
At the time of his arrest in 2018, his actions were caught in a surveillance video. The video footage shows him opening a colleague’s lunchbox. It also captured him putting some suspicious powder inside the lunch. The two co-workers worked at a business in western Germany.
According to Bielefeld police, the powder contained lead acetate. That too, “in amounts sufficient to cause serious organ damage”. Besides, a thorough search of the suspect’s house brought into light many more different dangerous substances. During the trial, a psychologist came forward and testified. He revealed that the 57-year-old wished to ‘experiment’ with toxins. Additionally, he wanted to see how they affected his co-workers.
The 57-year-old suspect is involved in three different cases of poisoning
The psychologist didn’t fail to mention that the suspect’s actions were very similar to another scientist. But not just any ordinary scientist. Moreover, “a scientist who tested substances on a guinea pig.” At the time, officials were investigating if this also linked to a string of 21 deaths in just two decades. However, after revealed that the suspect happens to be involved in at least 3 cases of poisonings.
According to prosecutors, the suspect added chemicals like mercury, and lead acetate to make colleagues’ lunches. This occurred between the years 2015 and 2018. Two victims, one aged 27, whereas the other, 67 endured chronic kidney damage. They were poisoned with lead and cancer. This increased the risk of cancer in the two for the rest of their lives.