A man recently got paralysed after ingesting undercooked chicken. He had later contracted food poisoning.
Paralysed due to Partially Cooked Chicken
Richard Jackson is a resident of Brighton. He had unknowingly eaten undercooked chicken. At first, only faint symptoms of food poisoning appeared but with time he got caught in a rare medical condition called Transverse Myelitis. Because of this, he had to be shifted immediately to an intensive care unit. He was left paralysed later.
The 31-year-old was just beautiful until December last year. He then showed adverse symptoms due to which he had to be rushed to St. Richard’s hospital. He also had to be admitted there. There he was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis and later was left paralysed.
Mild Food Poisoning And Then Deadly Consequences
He added, “I developed mild food poisoning from under-cooked chicken which triggered a severe rare auto-immune condition leaving me paralysed. Although, I was admitted to St Richard’s Hospital in Chichester as I started having problems being able to walk.”
“I quickly deteriorated, and within 24 hours, I was unable to use my arms or even swallow. I was delirious and drifting in and out of consciousness. At this point, the doctors did not know what was happening, but they knew they had to do something quickly. I was moved to intensive care, placed on a ventilator and effectively switched off in a coma for ten days to give myself the best chances of survival and give doctors the time to work out what was happening.” He added further.
Medical investigations reveal that Jackson’s spinal cord was adversely affected due to this condition. He was left paralysed due to the very same reason. He has attended a neural rehabilitation centre and is currently under supervision. His situation is improving gradually. He might take some more time before becoming fully active. He can now move his gluteal muscles and hamstrings, but the calf and ankle are still not functioning.